A dental implant is an artificial “root” that would replace your missing tooth root and form a stable foundation for a replacement tooth, bridge, or denture. Where regular dentures would rely on your gums for retention, an implant-based-denture is secured by the implants that have been surgically placed.
A visit to an oral surgeon would be beneficial, as they can determine whether you are a suitable candidate or not. This will include an oral examination as well as an X-ray to help with accurate treatment planning.
Advantages of dentures over implants:
- Implants help to maintain and preserve the remaining bone in the upper and lower jaw.
- Increased ability to chew.
- Dentures will be more sturdy and secure, which means limited movement of dentures when laughing and eating.
- Restores lost lip support and minimizes wrinkles around the mouth.
- General improved confidence.
Cleaning and caring for an implant-based denture is similar to your regular denture, and just as important. Your denture should be removed daily as part of your cleaning routine. It is also not recommended to sleep with your denture, regular or implant supported.
Implant retained dentures are a real ‘game changer’ for those struggling with loose dentures.
So, you don’t know a surgeon? Don’t worry, reach out and we will happily refer you to a provider in your area.